All About Legal Online Casinos in Indiana
Are Indiana Online Casinos Legal?
If you look at our Pennsylvania casinos review, you’ll notice that The Keystone State has much more liberal laws regarding gambling sites. It legalized online casino games in 2019, and 8 brilliant websites are already active, with several others waiting for their operator licenses.
Indiana has one of the most conservative climates towards online gambling in the United States.
According to the law, “an operator who knowingly or intentionally uses the Internet to engage in unlawful gambling in Indiana or with a person located in Indiana commits a Class D felony.” This means that Indiana doesn’t only ban in-state gambling sites, but off-shore ones as well. A Class D felony is a victimless crime, so it’s not the most serious one you could commit. However, it’s still a felony with serious legal consequences, so that’s why even off-shore sites exclude Indiana players from their offer.
Here are a few things you need to know about the situation with online gambling in this state:
- Online gaming is only allowed in the form of sports wagering and daily fantasy sports.
- Sports parlay wagering was illegal too, but Indiana allowed it after the US Supreme Court announced that the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) was unconstitutional. At the moment, there are seven active online sportsbooks that you can check out.
- The Lottery Commission doesn’t offer scratch cards and other lottery games through its website. It does not influence the authorities in any way to legalize online casino games. Currently, there’s not even a discussion on that theme.
- Surprisingly, Indiana is liberal towards daily fantasy sports, making them legal with the Senate Bill 339 from 2016.
- There’s a grey area: online social casinos. Even this option is very limited, since sweepstakes gambling laws manage to prevent most sites from operating. Chumba Casino and Global Poker are two of the few sites that are active and safe at the moment.
IN Legal Casino Sites
We’ll give you a brief review of online casino sites that are currently not banned in the state. These are sweepstakes sites.
Chumba is currently the best rated online casino for Indiana players. It’s a sweepstakes site for American and Canadian gamblers. They don’t play to win real money here. Instead, they play for virtual Gold Coins, which they buy through the website. The prize comes in the form of Sweeps Coins. They can be redeemed for actual cash.
For $10, you get a Gold Coin package of $40. Before you buy Gold Coins, you will get 2 Sweeps Coins just for signing up.
Does this sound like real online gambling? It does, but there’s a difference: Indiana does not ban playing for sweeps coins. Washington is the only state in the United States with a direct ban on these sites.
This website holds a Curacao Gaming License.
Global Poker is legal across the United States. It’s a sweepstake-based site, so you win prizes that you can cash out.
No-Limit Hold’em is the most popular option, but you can also play pot-limit Omaha cash games and join multi-table tournaments.
The site is licensed by the Malta Gaming Authority.
Play Best Games On Trusted Casino Sites
These are the most popular sweepstakes casino games in Indiana:
- Poker – It’s available through the Global Poker website. Sweepstake tables give you the same level of thrill that you would get in real-money play.
- Online Slots – Chumba gives you a massive selection of classic slots, progressive jackpots, and video poker. The most popular slots include: Reelberry Blast, Medusa’s Golden Gaze, Viking Odyssey, Spell of Odin, and Crazy Bunny Spin.
- Roulette – The only option for Indiana gamblers is the American Roulette Theme in Chumba Casino.
- Blackjack – It’s undeniably the most popular casino game across the world. Chumba Casino includes it in its offer.
Craps, baccarat, and live casino games are currently not an option for IN players.
Indiana Players Bonus Offers
Let’s talk about the bonuses that you can get on the best online casino sites that are allowed in this state:
These are also called deposit bonuses. They come as an additional value in your balance for the first one or few deposits you make. When new players deposit $10 in Chumba Casino, they get a Gold Coin package worth $40.
No Deposit Bonuses
These rewards don’t require you to invest any money. It may also come in the form of free spins. But you have to complete a serious playthrough requirement to withdraw potential winnings. New players on Chumba get 2 Sweeps Coins as a bonus on sign up.
High Roller and VIP Bonuses
High rollers don’t get any advantages on the sites that are legit in Indiana. We’ll have to wait for the state to open up towards online gambling to see better programs. When more competition enters the market, the casinos will do their best to keep their loyal players coming back.
Popular Mobile Casino Apps
The App Store and Google Play Store have strict regulations for gambling apps. However, they allow sweepstakes apps. Global Poker is the most popular option for live poker Android devices. There’s an app for iOS devices, too.
Live Dealer Casino Games – Are They Available in Indiana?
No. Live dealer games are not available in the online casinos that are legal in Indiana. Sweepstakes poker sites offer tables where you play against other real gamblers, but the dealing is based on software.
Don’t worry; everything is fair. The cards are dealt according to the RNG (Random Number Generator) principle.
Types of Live Dealer Games
At the moment, there’s no debate around legalizing online casino games in Indiana.
Considering the trends across the US, it’s a matter of when the talks will start and the legislation will start changing.
What can we expect when that happens?
First of all, we’ll see multiple legal online casinos offering games for real money. The difference will be in the competition, which will lead to better welcome bonuses and loyalty programs. But something else will happen: we’ll get access to live dealer games as well. For this type of game, you join a table and wait for the scheduled live streaming. A dealer is in a studio, dealing cards to the players who joined. This is as close you get to the real casino experience through an Internet connection.
These are some of the most popular live dealer casino games:
- Poker (Omaha, Three Card Poker, Four Card Poker, Ultimate Texas Hold’em, and all other varieties)
- Dice games
Chumba Casino, as one of the best online casinos in Indiana that are currently available, has its in-house team of software developers. The current portfolio includes over 60 games, which are all developed by VGW Games.
When things change and we get access to more options, we’ll see a vast range of software developers entering the market. Some of the best ones include: NetEnt, Microgaming, Bally, IGT and Konami.
Does Indiana Have Land-Based Casinos?
The Indiana gambling industry started developing in the 1990s. At the moment, 12 casino brands operate across the state:
- Indiana Grand
- Rising Star
- Blue Chip
- Majestic Star
- Hoosier Park Racing
- Horseshoe Casino & Hotel
- Tropicana Evansville
- French Lick Resort
If you can gamble in so many land-based casinos, why would you want the state to legalize the online gambling industry? There’s a big difference:
- You don’t have to dress up and drive miles to the nearest casino. You can access it online, anytime.
- Nothing beats the welcome rewards that gambling sites offer.
- Everyone likes having their options. Some people don’t like mingling with others; they like their privacy and would prefer live dealer games online over the “real” action if they had a choice.
Indiana Casino Types
The most common type of casinos in Indiana are riverboat casinos. The point of limiting gambling to riverboats was to allow the play to a certain degree, but still have control over where it can take place. However, the state also authorized French Lick, which is a strictly land-based casino. It was about time for the authorities to realize that the water rule is the silliest regulation ever to be voted by legislators.
In addition to riverboat casinos, there are other types of indiana gambling laws:
- Racinos – Hoosier Park Racing & Casino belongs to this category. It has a standardbred racetrack, and it enables live horse betting.
- Resort casinos – The resort is a self-contained hotel that meets all needs of its guests: accommodation, food, and fun. Resort casinos include gambling amenities on their premises. The French Lick Resort is such an option in Indiana.
How to Deposit On Best Indiana Casino Sites
These are the banking methods you can use on sweepstake casino websites:
- Credit/debit cards – Chumba accepts American Express, MasterCard, and VIsa
- ACH (Automated Clearing House)
- Bank transfer
You can use the same methods for a deposit and a payout. Make sure to read through the terms and conditions, so you’ll see what deposit and withdrawal limits the casino sets.
How to Choose the Best Indiana Casino Online?
Pay Attention to Licenses
Since Indiana hasn’t licensed and regulated any online casino, you only have sweepstakes websites as an option. It’s important for them to be licensed, too. You’re looking for valid off-shore licenses, such as the ones from the Malta Gaming Authority and the Curacao eGaming Authority.
Read Best Indiana Online Casino Reviews
You’ll find them on our website. Social proof is an important factor. Before you invest your money in gambling, you can learn from the experience of other players, who already tried different websites.
Check Out the Bonuses
Let’s be real: they make a huge difference. Yes; you’ll need to meet a playthrough requirement before being eligible for a payout. But a bonus is a bonus, and it’s always welcome. Make sure to read the terms attached to it, though.
Check the Deposit Requirements
It’s best to start playing with a low deposit of $10 or $20 and still benefit from the site’s bonus offer.
What’s the Game Selection?
A wider selection of software providers is an advantage. It gives you access to a vast choice of games, especially slots. It’s important for the casino to feature games by reliable providers, who program their games to a high RTP (return to player) rate. They must be in accordance with the RNG (random number generator) principle as well.
Are Apps Available?
Mobile apps add to the convenience. Global Poker offers them for iOS and Android devices, so it has an obvious advantage over other social casinos. If playing whenever you want to is important to you, then create a profile on casinos that offer high-quality applications.
Best Indiana Gambling Sites
- Can I gamble online in Indiana?
- It’s complicated. You cannot gamble for real money. Online gambling is specifically banned in the state. If you try to access websites that are available in Pennsylvania or other states that allow online casino games, their geo-location software will prevent you from playing. Sweepstakes websites are your only option. Instead of depositing money that would show up in your balance, you buy virtual coins. You use them to play any game from the offer. The winnings come in the form of virtual sweeps, which you can convert into real money. It’s basically online gambling, but through a slightly more complicated concept.
- Who is allowed to play?
- Both Chumba Casino and Global Poker set 18 as the minimum age required to enter and play. The platforms will put you through age verification processes, which requires a copy of your ID. In Indiana, online sports betting is allowed for residents of and above 21 years of age. If you want to engage in Daily Fantasy Sports, you have to be at least 18 years old.
- How do free spins on slots work?
- Free spins are a form of instant play, which is available as soon as you create a profile. Before you make your first deposit or purchase coins, the platform gives you a reward that you can use on a particular slot. Depending on the site’s policies, you’ll be required to meet a playthrough requirement before you withdraw the potential winnings.
- Who regulates the online casino market in Indiana?
- At the moment, there is no online casino market to be regulated. When the state legalizes online gambling, the Indiana Gaming Commission will be in charge of granting licenses and regulating the websites. Social casino sites, which are legal in this state, are licensed by foreign authorities from Malta, Curacao, and other countries.
- Are there taxes on the winnings?
- The IRS requires all citizens of the U.S. to report their winnings from gambling. You can also report the losses, so you’ll deduct the profit and pay a fair tax. You’ll need to support the losses with proper documentation.
- Is social gaming allowed in Indiana?
- Yes. Since there are no laws that specifically ban social gambling sites, you are free to access them.
- Can I play poker online?
- You can play poker on Global Poker, which is a sweepstakes site. You’ll buy virtual chips, which you accumulate as you win games. You cannot redeem these for real money. However, the site will reward you with Sweeps Coins, which you can redeem for real money and valuable prizes.